Panchakarma (“Pancha” means five and “karma” means treatment) is the Ayurvedic art of detoxification, purification, and rejuvenation. It is a powerful way to address the root cause of disease and has been used for thousands of years as a method for staying healthy, young, and vital.
The five treatment as follow:
- Vamana Karma – (Medicated Emesis) – This therapy is mainly used in cases of chronic disorders due Kapha dosha. It involves induced and controlled vomiting with the help of the medicines. It is used to treat chronic asthma, chronic hyperacidity etc.
- Virechana (Medicated Purgation)
This therapy is mainly used in cases of chronic disorders due to Pitta dosha. It involves induced and controlled purgation with the help of medicines. It is used to detoxify and purify the body. There are two ways of purgation:
- Purgation with king coconut water – (cooling the body) Coconut water is given to stimulate the body. Only cold water is allowed to drink. This way is the „light purgative“ and for these persons, who have a very sensitive body and too much heat.
- Purgative with 8 different herbs – herbal drink is given, that consists of 8 different herbs. Only warm water is allowed to drink. During the morning a rice soup is given.
- Vasti (Medicated Enema) –Vasti is administering medicines as enema. The medicines used can be decoctions, pure formulated oils, milk etc. It is used to cure arthritis, back pain etc.
- Nasya (Medication through the nose) – Nasya is administered through the nose. Medicated powders, decoctins or oil drops are introduced into the nasal passages. They remove residual doshas and toxins from the head and neck. Nasya is used in cases of migraine, chronic rhinitis, epilepsy etc.
- Rakta Mokshana (Blood Letting) – Rakta Mokshana is done by some tolls or using leeches. It is mainly used to cure gout, skin and blood disorders (pigmentation) or alopecia.
Treatment begins with pulse diagnosis and determination of the constitution type (Vata, Pitta, Kapha). The doctor will ask several questions concerning your former diseases or actual problems to determine the right point the start the treatment. After the consultation Ayurveda Doctor decide the medicine begin treatment.
Purva Karma – preparatory purification prior to the main purification
Pradhana Karma – the main five purification methods (known as Panchakarma treatment)
Paschath Karma – post rejuvenation therapy.